Monday, June 23, 2008

My Return to Running

The first 5k back

It was a beautiful winters afternoon on the highveld... not too cold just that slight chill in the air, but not crisp. Short sleeves or not was the first decision that had to be made. Once that was over it was down to lacing up my new shoes and strapping on the heart rate monitor...hopefully the heart rate monitor would be able to cope with the paces it was about to be put through.

The tarmac stretched out before me, that familiar sight I'd almost forgot. After a stretch of my own it was time to put the clocks in motion, get the legs moving and hope for the best.
The first k felt good, I was cruising along with ease. That didn't last long though...

I looked down at my heart rate to see the little heart was beating on the wrong side of the indicator ideal, but that was not going to stop me, I had done this before, and besides it was only 5k's. I hung in till the 3k mark and then broke out and walked. They say you have to build in walks into your training, so now was a good time to start. It wasn't for long though, you never know who might drive past and see me walking. Wouldn't want that now! Would we?

I got back into motion again, it was only 2k's to reach that first goal. Home was in sight before i could blink a thousand times. the finishing line in sight. I had made it. 5k's in 26min 49sec. I went inside and head straight for a glass of Coke!!!!!!

It may not sound like it, but I enjoyed every minute of being out there again.

So tomorrow I'll pick up the orthotics and give it a bash again on Wednesday. Till then....

1 comment:

The Running Golfer said...

Well, how life works! You used to be my inspiration to run. Great to know that I have played a small but meaningful part in you starting again!
Just to let you know, I have phoned to confirm for the 15km this weekend but cannot get hold of any of the contacts. Will keep trying though.
See you tomorrow!