Thursday, August 28, 2008

Entrepreneur or Blackmarket Material?

I'm in the education profession. I never thought that I would blog about one of my pupils or a work situaion, but today changed that.

I'm busy in class teaching a group of 12 year olds (Grade 6's), and three other children get brought to me for writing on their black school shoes with tipex. So we have all done this before at some stage I'm sure. nothing unusual. So I reprimand the three concerned and send them on their way. The class I am busy teaching brings to my attention that one of the learners in the class has done written on his shoes as well. So I call for the boy to come to my desk.

True as nuts he has written his initials on his shoe. Still nothing unusual... so I reprimand as before and am just about to send the boy on his way when I notice something unusual. I look a liitle closer...braving the risk of a cheesy smelly foot I ask the boy to remove his shoe for closer inspection.
This young chap has taken the trouble time and effort to unpick the stitching on the side of his school shoe, and sow in a little LEVI label. This is something that I have never come across before.

So comes from a academically talented individual, who is one of the naughtiest boys I have come across. He never has his books or stationery at school, his schoolbag is never big enough for all of his books so some of them have to stay at home, he never does homework or anything exra.
Is he showing signs of his future entrepreneurial skills and creativity or is he showing signs of a future in retail on the blackmarket? I'll let you decide....

No comments: