Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Kruger Weekend

So the reason for going to the Kruger for the weekend was the Castle Lager Kruger Park Half Marathon. What an awesome race it turned out to be. At the start line I found out the route was a new one this year. It turned out to be the best one I've run yet. Far more running in the Park. We managed to spot some hippo, rhino and ellie on the run. It is the type of race you run and not race. Unfortunately my mate Tim who normally joins me for the run was not able to come along due to his daughter falling ill. Tim you would of loved this one. But I have added a picture of the club members I had the pleasure of running this awesome event with. They are from left to right: Con Roux, Robert Brons, Kirsty Roux, Miller and Clive (Dad). The race gave you an opportunity to see how the money is being spent buy the parks board. A good job is being done - money well spent, I think.

So camping with the boys was the other reason for going to the park, or an added extra if you like. Both my older boys enjoy the outdoors, so camping is a treat.

So Devon appointed himself as the official spotter of the weekend. On the lookout for whatever game was out there. Armed with his binocs he discovered the sunroof! He did a pretty good job with the sightings, spotting elephant, giraffe and buffalo amongst a million impala. Good job boy! Kyle managed a couple of good sightings.


A Kruger visit would not be the same without the sighting of a Lion. We came across this boy on the Sunday morning before heading off to break camp. We had heard him in the early hours of the morning, roaring.


We were very fortunate to come across a baby rhino with his Mom heading to a watering hole for a quick sip. A bushveld sunrise and sunset.








I also forgot to mention that I came across the biggest caterpillar I have ever seen in the Park. Such a sighting is rather rare!








Thank you Mom and Dad for making this happen for the boys and I, and a special thanks to my wife, Lindsay for looking after Adam while I get to enjoy the pleasures of the bushveld. I look forward to doing it all over again next year, but this time with all members of the clan with me!



3 comments:

The Running Golfer said...

Nice post broer, wish I could`ve been there! Who knows, maybe next year?

Hayley said...

Aaaaaaaaah I am jealous!

Miller said...

Thanks, wish you both were there!